Make your own thumbnail for Azeroth United

If you haven’t heard already there is new /extension of existing warcraft communities called Azeroth United and straight from their introduction post We are the World of Warcraft

The purpose of this site is to be a hub for the Azeroth United World of Warcraft Internet Media Community. This community includes, but is not limited to:

• Bloggers
  • Podcasters
  • Webcomics
  • Videocasts
  • News Sites (like mmo-champion,, etc)
  • Utility Sites (like

They are after people to Submit a 200×200 sized logo to plug your blog/podcast ect ect – and I know not everyone has access to a decent Graphics program  and you may want to make your own thumbnail, so below is a run down on making simple, but clear thumbnails.  I used Gimp, and some of my saved banner graphics for mine,  but you can use Photobucket’s editing tool  just as easily

In Photobucket upload a screenshot, or even a copy of your banner and select “Edit”

Use “Crop” and  select the part of the picture you want to use by dragging the box over it.  The requested dimensions are 200×200  but it won’t matter if what you are cropping goes over as we can resize it.  If you hold down Shift it will lock the aspect ratio.

When you get the part of the screenshot you like.  Select  “Crop Selected Area” up in the top right.  Try and keep the ratios as close to each other as possible. It will make it easier when resizing.

Now select  “Resize” and change the size.  You may want to play with the Keep proportions box.

One you have applied the resize,  Select the “Text icon” on the Decorate Tab

Add your text.  You might want to untick the transparency button, and play with the colors of the text, and the font dependinng on what your background is.

And the result is this. A fictional blog thumbnail.

and some other fictional ones from images I had saved in my photobucket.

7 Responses to “Make your own thumbnail for Azeroth United”

1. 1 kyliaar September 22, 2009 at 3:49 am

This looks cool. I may give it a shot.

2. 2 Stompalina September 22, 2009 at 7:30 am

Thanks for the “How to”! Great thought that we will definitely share!

3. 3 xeonio September 22, 2009 at 5:52 pm

REALLY nice guide for peeps to get thumbnails like that made and in a very simple way.

Thanks for a heads up on getting this information out to peeps.

4. 4 theerivs September 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Very cool thank you

5. 5 Derek B September 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Nice tutorial, and thanks for mentioning the site.

I also have my design hired out.. this is going to encourage me to fool around a little bit more on my own.

-Derek B

1. 1 Azeroth United & Other WoW Communities « Rez The Weak! Trackback on October 5, 2009 at 9:29 pm
  2. 2 Banners « Pugnacious Priest's Warcraft Blog Trackback on June 25, 2010 at 5:08 am

• It's getting rather silly 2 days ago
  • I'm reading as many spam emails from twitter as tweets because I have an acc I don't post to and one you want me to optimize for business 2 days ago
  • The only Christmas beetles I've seen so far have been stuck dead in a spiders web 3 days ago
  • My sister is going to Canada to see bears - she wasn't impressed with my offer to buy her this cushion 3 days ago
  • It's been a long day - it's also a I'm gonna let someone else cook my dinner for me kinda night because I don't wanna. Bleh 4 days ago