Make your own thumbnail for Azeroth United

AuLogo3_300x144_thumb1

If you haven’t heard already there is new /extension of existing warcraft communities called Azeroth United and straight from their introduction post We are the World of Warcraft

The purpose of this site is to be a hub for the Azeroth United World of Warcraft Internet Media Community. This community includes, but is not limited to:

• Bloggers
  • Podcasters
  • Webcomics
  • Videocasts
  • News Sites (like mmo-champion, wow.com, etc)
  • Utility Sites (like wowhead.com)

They are after people to Submit a 200×200 sized logo to plug your blog/podcast ect ect – and I know not everyone has access to a decent Graphics program  and you may want to make your own thumbnail, so below is a run down on making simple, but clear thumbnails.  I used Gimp, and some of my saved banner graphics for mine,  but you can use Photobucket’s editing tool  just as easily

Zah

In Photobucket upload a screenshot, or even a copy of your banner and select “Edit”

Athumb1

Use “Crop” and  select the part of the picture you want to use by dragging the box over it.  The requested dimensions are 200×200  but it won’t matter if what you are cropping goes over as we can resize it.  If you hold down Shift it will lock the aspect ratio.

Athumb2

Athumb3

When you get the part of the screenshot you like.  Select  “Crop Selected Area” up in the top right.  Try and keep the ratios as close to each other as possible. It will make it easier when resizing.

Athumb4

Now select  “Resize” and change the size.  You may want to play with the Keep proportions box.

Athumb5

Athumb6

One you have applied the resize,  Select the “Text icon” on the Decorate Tab

Athumb8

Add your text.  You might want to untick the transparency button, and play with the colors of the text, and the font dependinng on what your background is.

Athumb7

And the result is this. A fictional blog thumbnail.

and some other fictional ones from images I had saved in my photobucket.

7 Responses to “Make your own thumbnail for Azeroth United”

1. 1 kyliaar September 22, 2009 at 3:49 am

This looks cool. I may give it a shot.

2. 2 Stompalina September 22, 2009 at 7:30 am

Thanks for the “How to”! Great thought that we will definitely share!

3. 3 xeonio September 22, 2009 at 5:52 pm

REALLY nice guide for peeps to get thumbnails like that made and in a very simple way.

Thanks for a heads up on getting this information out to peeps.

4. 4 theerivs September 22, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Very cool thank you

5. 5 Derek B September 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Nice tutorial, and thanks for mentioning the site.

I also have my design hired out.. this is going to encourage me to fool around a little bit more on my own.

-Derek B

1. 1 Azeroth United & Other WoW Communities « Rez The Weak! Trackback on October 5, 2009 at 9:29 pm
  2. 2 Banners « Pugnacious Priest's Warcraft Blog Trackback on June 25, 2010 at 5:08 am

• ' I'm a tote carrying member of the handbag hit squad' ' feel the whoomp of my barrel bag ' the punch of my purse, the clip of my clutch 6 hours ago
  • Handbag hit squad fired up about lock out laws' - somewhat confused how handbag hit squads are involved in this?? http://t.co/K13f5GWhEe 6 hours ago
  • So you haven't blogged since March - still following my twitter - still around ? Hope your doing better. 18 hours ago
  • Apparently there is stock shortages of pop vinyl Groot in oz - can I be smug and say I got one in my lootcrate with a glowey hand! 19 hours ago
  • Wtb a tshirt with 'handbag hit squad ' on it /chuckles 22 hours ago