Boot enchanting for Raiding.

Back in the day, when I needed the Hit.  I used to have “Enchant Boots Icewalker on my boots. I now have  515 hit without even trying  ( I only need 290)  so I slapped on  Enchant Boots – Tuskarr’s vitality

I had a look at who has what on my server,   via  Wow-Heroes.com which lets you compare statistics by enchants on pieces of gear by  realm. A search for the Most popular Enchant on Boots  for Priest- Shadow Proved interesting.

I cropped out the centre of the image because the bars would have made the pic to hard to fit.  It looks like the stats include all Shadow Priests on server, but only 33 Shadow Priests have Tuskarr’s Vitality, the ability to move just that little bit faster out of the fire is invaluable in a raid situation, and I have been convinced it is the better enchant for situations that you need to move in,  especially considering we are already dealing with Lag.

Mind you if you needed the  15 hit, then of course go for Icewalker, and admittedly the +stam on Tuskarr’s Vitality is useless.  The stats won’t include people missing an enchant.

boots

I then thought to compare my server to what is considered a much more progressed and serious raid server,  Blackrock, and their stats  only showed about a 6% increase in Shadow Priests using Tuskarr’s vitality over Icewalker.   ( they have a higher Shadow Priest population in general and my calculations are only based on Icewalk V Tuskarr) ignoring the other chants.

blackrock

So its got me thinking,  have I done the right thing?  would that extra Crit that is on Icewalker be more useful, then a very minor “Slight speed increase” Would I even notice if it it’s gone?

I went through the top geared ( by gearscore as reference) Shadow priests on the server to see what they were doing, and besides some of them having higher gearscores on their offspecs which are shadow there seems to be an even mix of Icewalker and Tuskarr’s Vitality.

At this point I think I might go back to Icewalker for that extra crit,  and I guess if I am slower getting out of fires and dying,  will rechant my boots back to Tuskarr’s Vitality.

So on my server The Top 5 boot enchants are +60 Items only enchants,  so out of 760 +Shadow Priests that are 60  + only 33 have Tuskarr’s

If the majority knew what they were doing all the time,  then there wouldn’t be so many bad players,  so I can’t use the argument majority rules,  but considering the amount of people with  Tuskarr’s Vitality even compared to the greater spirit enchant, that maybe in this case that the 727 Shadow Priests know something that the 33 don’t?  Or do the 33 know something that  727 don’t?

14 Responses to “Boot enchanting for Raiding.”

1. 1 Cassandri September 30, 2009 at 3:56 am

If I didn’t need the +hit on Icewalker, I would use Tuskarr’s Vitality absolutely!

Do you notice the movement speed increase?

I really wish I had it every time we go and face Northrend Beasts on heroic.

2. 2 Ablimoth September 30, 2009 at 4:51 am

For what it’s worth, EJ posits that Tuskarr’s Vitality is superior in every situation because it is a unique ability. Icewalker is only 12 crit rating, which is about 0.3% crit where Tuskarr’s is an 8% movement speed buff.

Unfortunately, increased movement speed is difficult to model for dps purposes, but an 8% buff should equate to 8% more uptime where movement fights occur (i.e. if your uptime was 90% with the missing 10% solely due to movement, your uptime *should* change to 90.8%. Yes, this argument has many, many flaws, thus being hard to model). There’s also the situation where it enables you to get out of the bad(tm) faster, thus saving your life or healer mana or whatever. It also enables you to kite the Faction Champions/Anub spikes more easily and to switch targets on Twin Valkyrs/get out of Deep Breath faster. If Icecrown is a raid of Patchwerk, then Icewalker will be superior… but I doubt Blizzard would do that. For current content, unless you’re a Paladin or Feral Druid, I would not have any other Enchant.

Ultimately it will come down to your personal preference, but I advocate strongly for Tuskarr’s Vitality (or Cat’s Grace for melee dps… but that’s neither here nor there for you).

3. 3 Jheherrin September 30, 2009 at 6:32 am

It is not hard to model mathematically, but more for time than actual dps. It is in the Enhancement Shaman threads on EJ and has been linked extensively elsewhere.

For ranged dps classes the model should be equally valid.

The current model shows that if you spend more than 1 second moving on any fight, Tuskarr’s (or Cat’s if you are really min/maxing as melee) is better than Icewalker.
    The model is based on the one used in tbc to show that Cat’s Grace was better than the competing boot enchants. In the case of Cat’s in tbc, the breakpoint was 6seconds iirc.

4. 5 leah September 30, 2009 at 8:19 am

what Cassini said. for me at least, Tuskar’s vitality was the difference between dying to Yeti charge and getting out of his way. it might not seem like much, but when you’re in a situation where fraction of a second of hesitation (or less then perfect latency) can make or break you – this enchant is absolutely amazing.

5. 6 Pugnacious Priest September 30, 2009 at 11:09 am

@Cassi & Leah – I’ve had Tuskarr’s on for about 2 months,I think I’ve just had it so long I can’t see it’s benifits,
    which is why I went looking to see what other people were doing, and I was suprised by how many people weren’t using, so I considered that I may be wrong.
    But as per @Abli and Jheh and the general consensus, and including those 33 people then it seems to be the right choice!

6. 7 2ndNin September 30, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I am going to argue here with common logic. Icewalker should be better for the majority of fights that are not movement based as it does provide said 0.3% crit. The 8% movement speed increase has a variable value however in non-movement fights (move 4 yards out of fire is not a movement fight) the value is effectively 0 due to lag and your reaction time.

8% increase means you travel 108 yards in the time it takes to travel 100 yards for a normal player. On the non movement fight we are talking effectively 5 yard distances (1.08*5 = 5.4 yards or an insignificant distance given your estimation of 5 yards in game). This makes the 8% movement more vital in fights like icehowl where you are sprinting 20 yard min, likely 100 yards max (1s+ difference in run times or an extra 50-100% of a cast every knockback – note this is essentially completely hidden from dot and movement capable classes). On fights like Koralon, Sarth+N, Emalon, Gormac, etc your run distances are 5-10 yards max, longer on fights like anub and beasts but still far from likely out weighing that crit overall.

7. 8 Ambrosyne September 30, 2009 at 3:29 pm

It’s one of those personal prefrence things, I believe.

I use Icewalker because I don’t typically die to things like the Yeti charge, and I’m a crit whore…and also, a disc priest who only moonlights as shadow, so the hit as its uses.

8. 9 Merlot September 30, 2009 at 4:08 pm

For what it’s worth, I’ll take the minority view (here at least) and say that I’ve only rarely felt the need for more speed, whereas icewalker is always working for you.

It sounds like there’s some evidence to show that the speed increase has a direct impact on dps – I’m no theorycrafter, and have to trust it’s right. But in my limited experience, knowing the fight and positioning yourself intelligently is as important as how fast you can move. As an example, how many people run further out of a fire than they need to?

I guess I need to give it a go to see for myself.

9. 10 KCnecrol September 30, 2009 at 9:18 pm

There is nothing more frustrating in this game than a player in your raid not having a run-speed enchant.

It may not help you 90% of the time; but the 10% of the time it does it is generally a lifesaver.

The best example I can give is again on the Heroic 25/10 versions of Northrend Beasts.

I think we can all safely say it is THE most annoying thing in the world when a player gets splatted by the charge and did not have the run speed enchant to boot.

10. 12 Smeg October 1, 2009 at 3:57 am

High movement fight either moving to new DPS targets or dodging an obstacle – TV enchant WILL increase your DPS absolutely!

All the pros run quickly, only noobs and entry level claim they need icewalker, the crit is too low and if you’re t9 gearing you should be well over the hit cap.

11. 13 Att Systems March 21, 2013 at 8:39 am

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of information. I’m glad that you simply shared this helpful info
    with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

1. 1 New guild week 1 « Pugnacious Priest's Warcraft Blog Trackback on May 28, 2010 at 3:13 am