The Prima Donna Healer.

I shall be changing my name to the Prima Donna Healer …   ( not)

I have taken to asking tanks ”  Are you a Psycho chain pulling tank?” as I zone into an instance.

“We just did HOL in 6 min! – Is that fast enough?”  was my reply last night.  I then gird my loins for what is to come .  At least I getting forwarned.

Dear Mr Tank

I am trying not to have animosity to Tanks.  I have trained several friendly tanks to my needs as a healer and a player and we now have excellent understanding,.  I don’t think it was healing fail that couldn’t keep you up  when you pulled the entire room and we wiped.

Especially considering I was distracted by the DPS Rogue that died first because they either stole agro off you cause you were weak or stole agro off you because he was being stupid thus diverting my attention from healing you for a nanosecond because I saw someone elses health bar plummet, and because of the Aoe being damage to everyone – you weren’t all I had to heal.   Please take that into consideration and try tanking the mobs so that they don’t spew green bile over the entire raid.

Maybe I could have applied guardian Spirit on you but it was on cool down  from the previous room where you pulled the instance up to that point in one hit, and stood in a black circle.   Guardian spirit may have  saved us from the wipe , however you still would have ‘died’

Your warning ” I chain pull”  was noted at the start -  that you were a overzealous tankwad was not.

Your sincerely -

Pugnacious Priest/Puggy Priest/ PP  / Zahraah  ( Br) and Zahrah ex Dath

More complaining about LFG’s  I know.   I tried to hold off publishing this till I had something nice to say.  Didn’t work.

I am getting burned out by LFG’s.  I really only want to do the daily for the frost badges now.  I used to do them for kicks,  for fun, for enchanting mats, as a gold top up. For something to moan about, but stuff keeps getting worse.
People leave a group for the slightest thing.  I leave a lot quicker.

I am also probably becoming a nuasiance with some people. My rankwatch will spam a person if they use a lower ranked spell. I de-activate it sometimes – but when I say – ” Man why are you using so many abilities on a lower rank?” and get reply like ” I haven’t trained for them yet’ You deserve to be spammed. And if you put me on ignore because of it – then yeah for me never having to run with you again. Yes I would wait the 2 min for you to go train it if required.  But no I don’t care I am spamming you. ( and my apathy worries me more than your failure)

I also like checking Elitist group to see who hasn’t spent all their talent points. I think I am enjoying telling people. “You have 2 unspent talent points (Johndoedps) far too much

I am being turned evil!  and I like it.

Oh!  I have a tank love comment!  – To my Tank in Keep last night – who said to the fail Warrior dps who hadn’t trained all his ranks, and thought he was the tank that could  and pulled  a trashmob after a boss ” Don’t you know! Never pull when the healer is drinking”   I shall heal for you any day!

15 Responses to “The Prima Donna Healer.”

1. 1 Askevar February 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm

As a tank, I’ve run into a number of… crazy egocentric healers. I never pull fast enough – despite how much I pull… When the healer has 3k mana, I get screamed at [by the HEALER] for stopping to ask if they need to drink and they then pull FOR me [which promptly ends in their death]

I have a healer also, so I’m familiar with the tanks you describe. It usually ends up in me having to triage the dps at some point.

I also, am getting burned out by the LFG.

• 2 Pugnacious Priest February 9, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I think there are speedy gonzalus type Lfgers in every class – I don’t see many of the healers because I am the one usually healing so I don’t know their style, , and I guess tanks wouldn’t know what other tanks are like for the same reason, I guess with impatient healers, or even me, a simple – let me know when you need a break/ if I go too fast would be wonderful.. besides mutual communication it means that your at least aware, and open to altering the pace when needed.

2. 3 Gnome of Zurich February 9, 2010 at 4:09 pm

when are you doing rankwatch and elitist group? is it in heroics at 80? or normal leveling dungeons? I got annoyed with people doing that on my leveling characters. With how fast leveling is now: no, really, it’s not worth making a trip back to a capital city every 20 minutes just to make sure I’m doing an extra 10 dps or whatever. I go when I know I have a key upgrade (and of course train everything while I am there). Sometimes talent points don’t get spent for a couple levels if I’m not at a key spot in the tree.

So you can bet I specced Holy Shield, Hammer of Righteousness, ardent defender and spiritual attunement the second they were available, but otherwise often went a level or two without bothering to spend my talents for a ~1% threat/survival upgrade. In northrend so far I have trained at 71 (divine plea) and 75 (shield of righteousness). Of course, there’s no excuse for not being fully trained at 80, because hello: what are you waiting for?

Anyway, if this is in heroics or raids, then I boggle at those who would not be fully trained modulo. If it’s a leveling dungeon, then all I care is that they are good enough to do their job.

• 4 Pugnacious Priest February 9, 2010 at 11:33 pm

It’s only on 80 Heroics, it didn’t matter so much while leveling, but once you hit 80, it makes such a difference – had a shadow priest in my group on my daily when I was on my hunter, and she was without 2 points last night so I told them, they said they didn’t know if they liked being shadow and didn’t know where to stick them, so I told them where to stick the two points in for now and filled in some gaps in their knowledge, but at least they had a reason!

3. 5 Dorgol February 9, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I could almost forgive a leveling character for not buying all their skills. But talent points? I mean… the interface is with you no matter where you go! It’s like saying “oh, I didn’t want to equip this wand upgrade because it’s only a 10 dps increase from the stats”… ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS RIGHT CLICK IT!

Anyway.

There is some apathy on my part too. I’ve found myself dropping group without a word if something comes up IRL. In the old world I would have apologized profusely, possibly even finishing the run. Part of me things this is a good change – heroics are now like Battlegrounds where I have no remorse going in and out – which means I am being a better husband!

4. 6 Blasph (Shadow council) February 9, 2010 at 5:56 pm

If you’re drinking for mana in a heroic you’re healing wrong. K thanks.

• 7 Pugnacious Priest February 9, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I’m not a tree, and I don’t have a tier 10 healing set, so when trying to maintain upwards of 5khps on an undergeared, chainpulling tank, and the dps is standing in bad stuff/in the whirlwind, thinks they are the tank. Sometimes I need to drink. Not often – and usually when I do, its because I am not psychic and Can’t tell how many of the trash packs the tank is going to bring to the next boss enounter. ( thats happening more.. ) so at the risk of running oom I drink when I can.

5. 8 Xeppe February 9, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I think it is a sign that you are retaining some last vestiges of priestly grace if you can be bothered actually typing anything at all in party chat during your daily random.
    I’m over it. I used to ask those psycho-pulling-tanks very nicely to be more sensible, then SHOUT AT THEM IN CAPS if they didn’t behave and then /leave party if that didn’t work.

Now I just leave.

I’ll go do some AH stuff til I can queue again. Whereas once upon a time when doing heroics I felt that I had made a commitment to a group and should stick it out til the end, come what may — now I just want my frosties with no heartburn.

Keep blogging Pug, love your work.

• 9 Pugnacious Priest February 9, 2010 at 11:27 pm

thanks :) I do managage to squeeze some words in every now and then. Eg Don’t pull yet – and pray they care enough to stop, I’ve haven’t been kicked from a group yet – so I can’t that bad of a healer.

6. 10 leah February 10, 2010 at 1:35 am

you lasted much longer then I have.. my dear spouse stopped playing wow all together because of this. he’s now having tons of fun, mostly soloing his way through DnD online.

I’ve retired all my 80ties and now slowly and leisurely leveling alliance army of alts (all my 80ties save one spy hunter are horde :P)

funny thing. one of my breaking points was when I had to drink on my then main, shammy who doesn’t have t10 for resto spec, but does have mostly ToTC25 and heroic ToTC10 gear with a smattering of 10man ICC stuff.

you know that something is really rotten in Denmark when you can successfully 2 heal Lady Deathwhisper, while accidentally forgetting to switch out of your elemental set (in other words, I had no mana regen to speak off), back when that wing was the only one available and yet, you run out of mana in a heroic (and not even ICC one). AND of course you are the one at fault :/

7. 11 typhoonandrew February 10, 2010 at 1:39 am

The most prolific guys who insist on speed are usually the dps, who don’t care for healers or tank. I know that dickheads are in every role, but the dps had it in spades; far more than just because there is a higher ratio of them on a run.

I tank at the speed of my cool-downs, and won’t pull before I have them. It is slower? Yes. It is also safer, and I can tell you from direct experience it takes far more time to corpse run back and buff than it does to wait a few secs for each pull. Maybe I should macro that sentence for use in every run with the dickhead players.

I leave groups often and with a warning first. That said I’ve not often seen the warning be taken seriously, and it leads to smart arse comments.

LFG-pug is a means to an end, nothing more (anymore). It gives badges, and when you have your badges, you stop. Every expansion has been this way, and I don’t think it will change.

8. 12 Akasza February 10, 2010 at 5:51 am

I tank one pack at a time not because I would take too much damage, but because it’s too risky some dps will peel off a mob, or some mob is a caster and will be left behind to pew pew the healer, and such. I rather avoid stupid deaths like the one on my resto shaman alt, tank pulled many many mobs in heroic HOS, no one noticed among them is a dwarf that mind controls, no one noticed the dwarf mind controlled a ret paladin, before I realized what’s going on and that maybe tremor is needed or something, we aoe’d the trash with the poor ret paladin included.

Then I have to listen to the people bragging on trade they speed run heroics for 50 badges and hour…

But what irks me on my tank char is like this: I was tanking heroic POS and a druid healer pulled with faerie fire another mob. I said “don’t do that again” and he said “don’t you see I’m terribly bored here?!”

Dude, if you’re bored go heal on Blood Prince council instead of heroic POS, or respec tank and see how annoying it is. Or I could just ignore the mob as you never pull it, but then behold the drama, “wtf tank! aggro! ffs! u sux!”

9. 13 jeffo February 10, 2010 at 11:17 am

@Akasza — the thing is, with a decently-geared group, there’s almost no need for a healer to be in a heroic anymore anyway (unless it’s the ICC ones). There have been a couple of boss fights lately where I dropped Judgment of Light, and then just didn’t heal — and nobody died. I’ve wavered back and forth on whether I should try to do as much dps as I can, or if I should just maintain the facade of healing so I don’t get into bad habits.

Puggy and everyone else who is sick of the LFG tool: Don’t use it. I have run randoms most every day since the ICC patch hit, and have managed to only pug with 26 random people. Granted, not everyone has friends/guild members willing to run randoms when you are, but take that alternative if you can. Though I do worry that I’m starting to see some of that Pug behavior creeping in with some of my guildies.

• 14 Katherine May 20, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I know this is an old post, but I go nuts trying to see how much damage I can do in my healing spec and gear if I’m not really being required to heal. And when I am being required to heal. The tank can get to worryingly low levels of health sometimes :P

Oh and I try to level up my weapon skills and get told “heals weapon”, as if I need the stats that are on it in a heroic, when half the time I’m DPSing anyway.

• Especially when their own stats show more off peak tickets are sold then peak meaning it's not cheaper now for more then 50% of travelers 2 days ago
  • So with the removal of off peak train tickets surely the advertising that it's cheaper on opal is truly false advertising 2 days ago
  • I have devoured Anne Bishops Written in Red and Murder of Crows in a massive binge read - really enjoyed them 3 days ago
  • RT @Reductress: Wonder Woman Now a Man: reductr.es/Uo1aqo 3 days ago
  • Rejected! well a story was. Its ok, was the first ive tried to get published somewhere in a little while, I shall not be discouraged 4 days ago