Real Id : let’s talk real numbers

I have 6 Real ID friends.

I feel so popular.

I’ll be honest and say only one of them is someone I know in real life as in I used to see somewhat regularly untill they moved interstate. The others are ‘internet friends.’  I have recently have spent more time in-game with all of them then I have my own mother in -RL .

I’m pretty confident at the least,   that my 6 aren’t axe wielding maniacs.  Me however – well they added me at their own risk – and I don’t own a axe though I do have…..

I went all stalkerish. Yes! I am in your friends list counting your numbers, and of my 6,  the numbers of friends they had each ranged from 11 to 1  The average was about 6 friends each.  This is a very small sample,  and I am sure Blizzard would be tracking these averages  because…..

Is 6 friends really worth all the effort they put in, for this x realm / x game communication?

Blizzard  want us to connect  – stay connected – not leave one game because we can’t play with friends, and I am sure that a lot of people have a lot more than 6 friends, and it’s only been a week.  I’m also sure that some are so busy talking to their friends they are Afk in a major city  – and miss raid because they are too busy being social and are not playing the game as intended.

But 6 people – what are the averages you’re seeing?  More or less?   The people I have talked to / commented / read other posts on,  are either extremely protective of their privacy, and have one,  or none,  or are quite happy with the idea of their Wow friends being Real ID friends.  There doesn’t seem to be a middle ground.   I like the middle ground, and besides if they give you their email.  They don’t see yours.

The more I think on  it – if I can accept the friends request on Facebook of some person from my kinder garden class that I haven’t seen in decades –   Omg remember me! Lets be Facebook friends”  and you never have any further interaction with them besides maybe throwing a sheep at them. Then is a person that you have spent/spend   HOURS with .   On vent,  in group, in game,   in party, in Bg’s,   are they really so bad?

I’m not advocating that you pick up random people in pugs – “omg you look so hot.  Add me”    Or add your entire guild. But We think we know people – but often even the closest and dearest people to our hearts, in our lives surprise us sometimes.

You can delete people as friends.  If your friendship circle changes,  it’s ok to remove them.   Are you in contact with ALL the people you have called friend throughout your life? Ever removed a friend off facebook?  You have the same choice with Real ID.

I have a couple more real life peoples out there I could add,  but they haven’t asked,  I haven’t asked and we really don’t need to with 6 other ways of communicating.

Oh and the last thing I will say about this real ID business.  Is you look REALLY silly running round Dalaran with a <busy> next to their names.

14 Responses to “Real Id : let’s talk real numbers”

1. 1 Narx June 29, 2010 at 1:17 am

I have 2.

I have met both of them. I would have closer to 4 or 5 but they don’t play anymore :(

At least not til SC2.

2. 2 Ngita June 29, 2010 at 2:06 am

Two.

But as Narx said I could see sc2 and Diablo 3 boosting the numbers a lot.

3. 3 Dusknoir June 29, 2010 at 2:55 am

I think we’d see much greater usage of the real friends system if privacy wasn’t such a large concern. I can’t count the amount of cross-realm or cross-faction friends I would add if it wouldn’t involve giving out my email address or real name.

I understand the irony that I protest Real ID for this reason while at the same time using my Real ID email address to post this comment.

• 4 Pugnacious Priest June 29, 2010 at 3:24 am

Only the blog admin can see that, but then think of all the comments you’ve posted on all the sites, on all the other blogs.
      There are sites that enable you to seach multiple social media sites in one hit by email address – and anything you can pull up on someone with that email address. It’s a little scary.
      I’m not sure how they are going to be able to reassure people of privacy yet still make it a social media experience. The only other method I can think of, of requesting by name and realm would make it too easy for spammers to get access to people.

I guess if you are concerned, request their email address so you can add them.

4. 5 leah June 29, 2010 at 5:00 am

real ID uses real life names… the names you have on your credit cards, your social security number, etc. I have a lot of throw away e-mails. I only have one real name. sure, friends I made in wow and talked to for years know it. but their friends?

yes yes, if someone wants to find me bad enough – they will do it, but why would I make it easier on them then it has to be?

then again, I don’t use facebook either.

• 6 Narx June 29, 2010 at 5:15 am

Yes, true. But as I pointed, I have met the 2 people on my list, mostly because they are friends that I go have drinks with.

One of them has even flown cross country to catch up. Was nice.

So for that purpose Real ID works for me. It’s great because I also have cross faction toons as well. But as far as giving my real ID to my GL etc? Not likely.

5. 7 KiwiRed June 29, 2010 at 7:37 am

Today I turned down a request from an old guildleader who moved off-server (which admittedly I regret, because I used to get on pretty well with her, but darn-it I’m taking a stand!) because I’m being (admittedly) bullheadishly stubborn about not using RealID while it’s so poorly implemented.

It’s odd, but this little thing is doing more to get me to not renew my sub than the ennui I’m experiencing in-game currently…

6. 8 loveandwarinazeroth June 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I too am being stubborn about not using RealID. Not because I’m worried about people having my real name. My name is fairly common, and I doubt anyone could find me that way.

The real reason is the lack of being able to hide. I love my friends dearly, but sometimes I just want to be alone. I don’t understand why Blizzard has chosen to omit this from the program, as it would seem to be quite easy to implement. The articles that I’ve read about it don’t seem to indicate that Blizzard even intends to add this in, so I’m guessing that my RealID friends list will remain at 0 indefinitely.

7. 9 t0xic June 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm

I have only one Real ID friend, and it will likely stay that way. The service alienates the people that it was supposedly designed for. That doesn’t make sense to me, and I can’t help but think there must be a reason they took this approach. Maybe more details will come out over time.

8. 10 Mashugana June 29, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for the viewpoint – got me thinking. And I agree with the above that this feels like a weird beta at best. I’m in wait and see mode. I personally have one friend, we’ll try it out, and see how it develops. The concept is pretty cool if they can nail down some of the quirky privacy and pure contact management issues. But for now? Yeah. One Real ID friend :)

9. 11 Shiva June 29, 2010 at 11:12 pm

I love RealID in concept, but by god I cannot figure out why on earth Blizzard didn’t add more privacy features.

I started out with only two RealID friends, and one being an ex-girlfriend who I still spoke too. Eventually I moved up to 3 with an old-friend I’ve known online for 10 years or so.

So far, I’ve trusted 0 people in my guild with my RealID — even though several have my email, messenger screen-names and my cellphone number (heck a few even my have my home phone…)

I really just don’t like the lack of controls or options beyond “use it or don’t use it”.

• 12 Pugnacious Priest June 29, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Maybe they didn’t consider how paranoid we have become about protecting our account details, and that wow friends are really still not really real friends. I haven’t forgotten your request. Will do a draft and throw some stuff your way for feedback soon

10. 13 Violet July 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I have 4 really good friends in-game who I would LOVE to have as Real ID friends but I would rather not have my real name out there for their friends to see. Even Facebook allows me to set privacy preferences. Email addresses can be created…in fact I created a new one just for Real ID purposes…until I realized that my full first AND last name will be visible. How hard would it be for Blizzard to implement a nickname system based on an email address or user-chosen name??

11. 14 Alex May 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I thank you humbly for sahnirg your wisdom JJWY