Pay for Comments.

No – I’m not offering.

Ok. Fine.

Here you go – have a cookie. No you can’t have 2. *nods Yes they are real choc chips.

I was checking out a freelance site – as you do – because you can find the oddest things in the weirdest of places, I got a paid singing gig on someones country song demo tape once from a similar local place when I was doing Singing lessons. Fun times.

I wanted to see what people were asking for on the freelance site for writers and what experience the people who were getting the jobs had, and there was several jobs there for ‘Blog commentors’.

Fancy that – being paid to comment on people’s blogs – with I’m assuming a link back to what ever product your selling.

It clicked – some comments I get that don’t get picked up as Spam, seem to be more personalised or genuine comments, but they link back, or include links to dubious sites. It’s hard to tell from the commenter, but the email addy and site link will include something like “goldselling” or “Mageguide” and I usually spam those sorry. If I’m not making money from this – neither are you.

It doesn’t sound like a bad gig. Read blogs on a particular subject – say enough to get it past spam filters, and blog admins who don’t pick up your not a real person who really doesn’t give a crap about the post. Your not real and your intent is to profit from a strategically placed comment.

I know we all sell ourselves in someway. It’s how we discover who or readers are – yes I click on unfamiliar names and blog links and add people to my reader, if I see someone else commenting on someone elses blog post that is of interest, I’ll click there too. Thus why I try and keep the links clean.

I will not support stuff like gold selling. So uhuh.. I try and catch them all.

I do read all your comments. Including the one with a collection of swear words, or a suggestion as to what I can do with my lingerie.

EDIT – have an example of a comment I suspect to be a pay for comment, comment. On my Trolls V Enight post.  It takes you to  a service selling leveling guides/gold making guides   ( I have spammed it) – not suggesting that people who make money from wow players also don’t read blogs,   But the comment seems placed rather then thought out.

I feel a little unfair critising a comment,  because some of my posts are sloppy enough to not make sence,  let along some of my comments, and I don’t mean to scare off commenters  I LOVE YOU!  – but it feels  I guess. Off.   This one is a little less obvious.

16 Responses to “Pay for Comments.”

1. 1 Narx July 27, 2010 at 3:31 am

“or a suggestion as to what I can do with my lingerie.”
    These ones sound the most interesting…

“I try and catch them all.”
    Gold sellers are now like the Pokeymon.

But this paid to comment on blogs sounds a lot like secret shopping just for blogs.

• 2 Pugnacious Priest July 27, 2010 at 5:37 am

It could be a new blogger service! – Pay me and I’ll trawl other blogs on my reading list pretending to be you so as to increase your exposure. ( could also be used for evil ><)

2. 3 Klepsacovic July 27, 2010 at 4:11 am

Take pictures in it? Maybe there’s a context I’m missing on that one.

Catch-and-release Pokemon is all the rage these days.

3. 5 Markco July 27, 2010 at 4:41 am

This is exactly the kind of stigma I have to deal with on my gold making blog. People see “gold blog” an they instantly think ut-oh it’s a gold seller! When in fact my blog is by far the best place to go and get gold tips or find other blogs pertaining to making gold in wow.

Paying someone to leave links to a blog is a very common thing in social marketing these days, right up there with mass producing articles on directory sites. I feel your pain inthe spam!

4. 7 Ophelie July 27, 2010 at 4:42 am

I’m jealous, I never get comments about what to do with my lingerie.

That’s interesting though. I don’t really get that on my blog (I don’t get enough hits to be profitable), but I see stuff like that on the Blog Azeroth forums all the time. Posts that are shallow yet on topic and linking to somewhere in the signature. I’d always wondered how they made such smart spam bots. Now I know!

• 8 Pugnacious Priest July 27, 2010 at 5:34 am

It was only one comment… and I shall not encourage more on that subject :P As for the other ones selling stuff I thought it was a little too much effort for the minor linkage if any they would achieve by posting here. Wonder if I get any on this post. I should stop deleting them and post screenies of the comments

• 9 Narx July 27, 2010 at 6:03 am

“I shall not encourage more on that subject”

You do realise once it’s on the internet it’s there forever now…

Expect more lingerie comments ;) Hahahaha

5. 10 Shiva July 27, 2010 at 5:15 am

What do you do with your lingerie?

6. 12 gevlon July 27, 2010 at 7:09 am

Paying people to create fake comments with a link? That explains some really weird comments I got. They were not bot-spam, were relevant in the article, but did not make any sense. I thought the writer was high or drunk. No, he was paid to “read” my article in 30 secs and conjure up some comment.

However I must tell there are good sites with gold that get promotion not because they pay but because the commenter really believes it’s the right thing to mention them since it helped them.

7. 13 TheGrumpyElf July 27, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Leaving a random comment for a cookie. :)

I was just looking up priest stuff and came across here, felt I needed to leave a comment because it was about comments. Strange how that works.

8. 14 Anstasia July 27, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Hrm, I guess you’ll have to tune your “junk” sifters even more carefully when viewing comments now.

On the flipside, what a job to have!

9. 15 theerivs July 27, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I am a very sophisticated spam bot that became concious, and now write my own blog.

10. 16 Cold July 27, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Yup agree with ya here. I had to turn on comment moderation just b/c of the same guy coming and linking some stupid levelling service site on multiple blog pages as comments. Really annoying.