Chilling on the block.

Remember when the cool place to hang was in Ironforge.

All the kiddys hang out in Stormwind. Don’t go  there.

SW used to be where all the gold spammers would go to as well.

Then it was outside the bank in Dalaran. Sitting or standing on the  steps.

In Cata when they removed the portals from Shatt and Dalaran people Stopped hanging in the ‘current’ content, and went back to the old world to  hang out in Stormwind again,   and everyone now seems to hang out in Dwarvern district. Never mind all the smog and polution in the air. Ironforge is virtually deserted.  Gone are the days where rogues with double glaives would pick their preening position on the bridge between the bank and Ah.

It make sence the Dwarfven district is the new place to chill.  It’s closest to the portals,  there’s a bank, an AH, and a pub, and a fountain for baths.  What more could you want  in a day and age where Bg’s and dungeons are menu que’d ,  and one raid member can mass summon the entire raid to a dungeon.

But it’s not the most welcoming of places.

If I had to pick a nice place to hang out, it would be the blue Recluse  in the Mage quarter, it has an outdoor eating area now, and its kind of sad to see all the Npc’s standing around with no one to serve. There also is no bar wenches,  its all  bar men :)

One of the downsides of guild halls was going to be that, you would no longer be mingling with the common people, and having all the various things like banking, and ahing available in the guild halls,  would mean with the system as it is now,  you could practically stay shut up in your hall, and never rub shoulders with the best geared DK on the server who goes afk on the steps to show off his gear. ( or that box you like standing on.. )

So while we are afking in the streets,  or on the steps,   we aren’t really hanging out together,  but we do make deliberate choices of where we choose to chill. For some strange reason I always end up between Weller’s armory and ‘Everyday merchandise’ in the Trade district,  on my bike,  smoke blowing out the exhaust.  I’ve had the best conversations with randoms  who stop for a chat. I am drawn to that space on the cobblestones.

Where do you hang out now?

8 Responses to “Chilling on the block.”

1. 1 Rebecca May 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I really like Orgrimmar’s new look – and I don’t just mean the pretty new bits. A lot of folks I know like to hang out in the tauren area of Org, but my characters (the orcs in particular) really feel at home in the Valley of Strength, I think it’s called.

2. 2 theerivs May 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Middle of Uldum, by myself watching the shifting sands.

3. 3 Mittenz May 20, 2011 at 1:05 am

A lot of Horde hang out in the Valley of Strength (the main area of Org, in front of what one of my guildies calls Garrosh’s house), but the best place really is the Valley of Wisdom, “the Tauren area” in Org. It has a bank, AH, Inn, anvil/forge, a trade goods vendor (if you, like me, occasionally need thread) all very close to each other, but it’s not yet popular enough to be super laggy when you log in.

4. 4 Coreus May 20, 2011 at 2:48 am

I hang out in Dwarven District because there’s an Anvil and a Forge, which most of my toons need regular access to. And so the rest go there out of habit now.

Though I miss the Engineering store AH in Dalaran. Only place I know of that you can anvil-craft and browse the AH simultaneously.

5. 5 Anonymous May 20, 2011 at 8:05 am

Dwarven district: portals/AH/bank/anvil, very close to Old Town with valor/conquest vendors, target dummy and warrior trainers. As blacksmithing warrior, I need nothing more.

6. 6 Inquisitor May 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm

‘Tauren area’ again. It’s the closest inn to the portals, and has bank, AH, anvil, repairs all very close to each other – and the great unwashed hang out at Garrosh’s place, so it’s pretty quiet there.

7. 7 Koryz May 22, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’ve headed back to Dalaran now. Love that the portal to SW is back. I do love the peace there. Now only if I can figure out how to get rid of the dirge spammers.

8. 8 Jaedia May 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Actually, yeah, my Night Elf DK has taken to the Dwarven District in Stormwind, for all of the reasons you listed PLUS she’s a Blacksmith with a bit of a rod business going on so it’s right next to an anvil which is great.

As for my Hordies, the cow place in Org (I’ve always been Horde, never bothered to learn the names for the parts of Org) because it’s calmer than the main area, less.. Orgrimmary, and it’s still near all of the various portals as opposed to Thunder Bluff or Shattrath (which I would prefer).