It’s taken me years to come up with this list, years.
I am not sure if I am just getting old, and cranky in my years. ” When we were leveling, we had to walk uphill in the snow” or just my tolerance for annoying things is getting shorter, but I have 7 all time un-favorite sounds in-game – of note they become more annoying when you’re at the receiving end of them.
7. The Squeal of a Deranged Helboar in Hellfire & the Mobs in Razor Fen – Do I need to say more. Squuuuueeeel. Snort. Squeeeeeeeel Snort. Can you just imagine their little slimy noses smacking into you with each hit.
6. Drain Lfe – it’s a Bunsen burner burn ( remember those from highschool science) it sounds like your life is burning from inside you. You can’t swat it away, and it just keeps burning.. get it off me!
5. Earthbind Totem- Woooooo Wooooooo Wooooooo reminds me of the sound of massive wind turbines. This time the sounds doesn’t do much for warning you, because if your close enough to hear it, your close enough to be caught in it, and then your running through quicksand.
4. Mindspike. The Whoosh, then a slash sound like a knife cutting the air. ( matches the graphic) if you hear one, you know at least 2 more is coming, and then an instant mindblast, and BAM there goes 30-50% if your health depending on the crits. I hate the sound because it’s a forewarning of bad things to come, and the knife sound sends shivers up my spine.
3. Mana Burn: Whoosh – and the sound of a cocked of a gun. It’s different when your the person doing the mana burning, but that sound in Arena, and Bg’s and it’s not you is like Oh crap. I need to get out of LOS There is no debuff when your being mana burned, just that sound that lets you know your having your mana drained.
2. The Fte Fte sound that a hunter’s Kill command makes. Fte fte fte fte fte fte ( try it fast with your tongue hitting the back of your teeth) Fte is the only way I know how to copy it . ( possibly helped by the little gap I have between my front teeth. ) That sound enforces in the imagination the feeling of the pets claws tearing at your robes. Cutting in your skin.
1. The Stupid monkey yip, when it’s attacking something. It Squeeks, it yips, it’s teeth gnash at you, it’s monkey paws slapping at you. it’s like one of those yip yip dogs while it’s attacking you. This is especially annoying in arena, Some people have said that it’s most affective attack is it’s sound..
I know the solution to these annoying sounds is to turn the sound off. I already play with the sound down to around 11%, and it’s enough for me to get a general feel of placement in the game. When I wear my in-the-ear ear buds walking down the street, they are very affective at blocking out sound. It’s like being submersed underwater. I ‘feel’ the world differently because of the loss of one of my senses. ( it is also how people get hit by things on roads because they can’t hear them) .
I think that sound is still very important to my experience in the game, I feel more immersed and I’m not talking about the haunting trombone that plays as you ride in the Battle of Gilneas, or the little irish lilts in the pub. Sound ingame is information. I can tell when I am being mana burned by the sound, I can tell I am being mindspiked by the sound. They act as warnings, and I do not need to look at debuffs or raid frames to react.
But if you really have had enough of annoying sounds, there’s an add on for that!
There is an add on for a Worgen sniff remover, there is also a Annoying Wow sound remover on curse as well that mutes “906″ annoying sounds ( I haven’t downloaded it – because I really don’t want to lose that many different sounds ) If only they made an add on that works to mute Sydney Train passengers.