Raiding Wet.

allcolors

Photo from Drinking Stuff

In the various guilds I’ve been in  there has always been tongue in-cheek discussion about raiding drunk.   The talk about playing a particular class because you can play it with one hand, because  the other hand is holding a drink ( meaning alcoholic beverage) is a raid joke.  ( or is it… ) The average gamer in Australia is supposed to be 30 – and thats well past our drinking age of 18   – and there is nothing to stop you from doing what you want  on your own time.  Stick 2 beers in your hat and your set right?

The further up the raiding ladder, I’ve seen  the less people drunk during a raid.  Or more likely the less people obviously drunk during a raid.  While its more likely for the men to be raiding with a drink in hand – a coldie.. as we call them in Australia….  A female raid member with a glass of chardy in her hand is probably less common while raiding but I’m sure it happens.  Are you drinking alone if your raiding? Certainly in the less progressed guild there seems to be more likely a drunk person ( for what ever their personal reasons.. ) but a higher progressed guild will not tolerate stupid mistakes.  Raiding is serious business.

Do I confess, and say I have been drunk during a raid?

^^ that was a confession in case you missed it .  *blink – moving on.

Most of my raids are during work nights, so drinking while raiding with a beverage is not practicial ( or responsible.. )  but any friday night raids where most often done after work drinks ..  so I could not guarantee sobriety while raiding on a friday night.

There definitely has to be a corelation betweeen  how drunk the raid is and the seriousness of the fight .   I remember back in the days of Kara the state most of the raid was in by Curator.  Maybe that’s why the guild at the time never cleared Kara…. It really went downhill.,  I would have to say that most people raid sober,  but I’m sure that there are a lot people that associate the relaxing of raiding or playing wow as  the time to have a beer or two.. or three…..

10 Responses to “Raiding Wet.”

1. 1 Merlot July 30, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Raiding is much more fun when you’re drinking, but like you say, work gets in the way dammit. Our guild leader once passed out at his keyboard and had to be logged off by his girlfriend. What a legend 🙂

2. 2 Meltfacer July 30, 2009 at 4:27 pm

And how many do you think are high? 🙂

3. 3 YayItsJake July 30, 2009 at 5:52 pm

i know i never set foot in MC without a 12 pack in my mini fridge beside my desk. back then as a raiding hunter it was fairly easy. . .the hardest thing was pulling for the tanks, which was rare for me.

4. 4 Silk July 30, 2009 at 11:48 pm

A no drinking rule would be downright unAustralian!! Not to mention the fact that my guild would revolt at the mere suggestion.

Generally, I try to convince myself that my healing performance (like pool) increases until you hit that sweet spot because you unquesionably make better decisions when you are relaxed. Now there is little doubt that my druid healing partner and I both got a little too “sweet spotted” during our 10s run last Friday but that said we cleared to Vezax in about 3 hours (including some hard mode attempts).

There is a distinction though between having 3 glasses of wine over a 3 hour raid and getting so drunk you fall off the platform fighting the mini-bosses at Thaddeus (it was our tank who did this).

5. 5 Gevlon July 31, 2009 at 11:13 am

drinking = longer reaction times = lower DPS = gkick

6. 6 Jesse July 31, 2009 at 3:21 pm

“And how many do you think are high?”

I think about 20-30% of my guild raids high. For most positions, that doesn’t matter. But when the main tank is singing Journey over vent, it’s time to ask him to dual-spec to DPS and someone else step up.

7. 7 Fuyuko August 3, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Hehe, several of our raiders occasionally raid drunk. It’s never so bad that it hampers our ability to do our jobs (no Leeroy Jenkins type moments), but it’s really funny to log onto our healer channel and see something like, “Yeah, I switched to vodka a while back.”

8. 8 yunk August 5, 2009 at 1:54 pm

There is a guild on Fenris that is famous for everyone being high during raids. They don’t get much done 🙂 but they are having fun I suppose.

1. 1 Putricide is easy when you drunkenly abuse your guildmates « WoW – Silk's Blog Trackback on January 17, 2010 at 8:42 am
  2. 2 A 4 things for Friday thing « Pugnacious Priest's Warcraft Blog Trackback on April 16, 2010 at 3:15 am

• I have mixed feelings about being empowered by wonderwoman themed make up brushes - i guess its not like i can take a sword to work 2 weeks ago
  • Wonders if trying to rope friends into a minis game is like the nerd version of amway 2 weeks ago
  • I love the smell of mothballs wafting around public tranport now that people are digging their coats out from cupboards ( not) 2 weeks ago
  • Wheel of time to be a tv series - so awesome to see all these amazing series & books finally getting the attention they deserve 2 months ago
  • #13reasonswhy has a pretty decent soundtrack - stopping episodes so i can look the song up. 2 months ago