Shiny Pony = Legit gold buying

Noticed the trends in trade where people are offering the code for the Celestine mount for varying sums of money

” 50 bucks 2 mounts = 20 k easy gold”  says one very happy person

Or maybe its just on my server.

Now this isn’t to give you ideas,  but the mount sounds like a better offer if I can purchase in game rather than pay real gold, and I’ve seen them for anywhere between  8 – 10 k gold.

The mounts are just codes  – and like the increasing trend of people selling game cards cross trade for gold – which are also codes  – these mounts, along with the game cards seem to have allowed people to get ingame gold  quite easily for real world money – without going through a gold seller.

Not suggesting it was the intended purpose – but it’s sure working out that way.

10 Responses to “Shiny Pony = Legit gold buying”

1. 2 Micah April 23, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I’m not sure if it is legit. It probably falls outside of the TOS, and if the pony seller screws the buyer I have my doubts if they would have any recourse.
    I do wish there was a legitimate in game system to exchange RMT mounts, pets and even game time. Allowing the code to create an in game redemption object would be sufficient, like the Eve PLEX system. Instead of code->BOA Pony it would be code->Tome of BOA pony->BOA Pony.

2. 3 Narx April 24, 2010 at 6:02 am

Yup, this is outside the ToS and an actionable offence.

I smell ban hammers inc.

3. 4 Silk April 24, 2010 at 2:59 pm

Isn’t amazing how much several million dollars transcends long held principles?

Hope you’re well PP – having read the recent paladin class preview I know I am well 🙂

4. 6 illtree April 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm

It is not a banable offense. You are selling an in game item(code/mount) for an in game item. It is the same way I made tons of gold selling items from the UDE store.

• 7 Narx April 25, 2010 at 1:34 am

No it is bannable.

You have to redeem the code outside the game on a website. Therefore in game currency cannot be used to purchase the item.

I suggest you check the official forums.

5. 8 Wikwocket April 25, 2010 at 3:21 am

Just to confirm, Blizzard considers this a violation of the Terms of Use. They consider the mount redemption code a real-world item, which cannot be traded for in-game gold or items.

Source: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=24401792600&sid=1

• 9 Pugnacious Priest April 25, 2010 at 4:16 am

that clears it up – They are pretty clear in that they expect you to obey, interesting to see what the grape vine says about the people have have sold things this way I remember one guy buying 8 or so and then selling, or if they will target people who bulk buy . You can still get around it by gifting it to the person, but there would be no recourse if they duped you, other then dobbing them in. Not worth the risk.

• 10 Narx April 25, 2010 at 4:43 am

Yeah gifting might work around it, but Blizzard does track things such as large scale movings of gold from one account to another. I was reading on the official forums about a guy who ‘bought’ 25k gold from a seller and 24 hours later it was gone. No ban, but the gold mysteriously disappeared.

• Wheel of time to be a tv series - so awesome to see all these amazing series & books finally getting the attention they deserve 4 days ago
  • #13reasonswhy has a pretty decent soundtrack - stopping episodes so i can look the song up. 1 week ago
  • At almost 9 bucks for 10g of hair texturizer powder - i could have gotten 10 g of cheap cavier instead 1 week ago
  • Two expresso martinis #nosleep 2 weeks ago