Weekend Tankage Aka Denting Face

While denting face this weekend.    ( Shadow Priests melt face – tanks dent face) I found the worst thing in an instance is a bored healer.  They pull stuff! So don’t pull stuff  – Dps if you have to -but don’t get distracted so much by your boredom you forget to heal.

I had a shammy healer during a run of Drak’Tharon testing out his ” You want mana? ” Macros for half the instance out of bordem,  who also decided after I pulled Dino Dred ( who also spawns adds)  to pull extra cause I wasn’t,  and he then proceeded to die; self rezed with little mana – was oom by the end and declared  something along the lines of ” that’s the sh*t”  because it made it more exciting for him.

You died…  I pointed out.  You could have wiped us.  ” But I didn’t”

“Why you little……..”

76 with 477 defence – I can smell 80

Am I  a good tank? Probably not.  I mean I think I’ve done the right thing.  Geared as tank.  Practised all the way while leveling.   Known when I’m over my head. Never queued as DPS. Never had a group leave because I was bad – so I can’t be doing too badly. I’m making the right gearing choices.  Not sure about the out of Prot tree talent choices though,  but I’ll go cookie cutter when I’m 80.

I forget vigilance a lot.  When I remember I try and wait for at least the 1st pull to see if anyone uber stands out that will need it.

Had a few pulls where I stuffed up and was saved by uber healing, had a few pulls that couldn’t be saved.   It’s been challenging doing instances that are so familar from a healing/dps view, to suddenly trying to control the mobs so that they are hitting me. I have all this knowledge I’m trying to apply – trying to remember what other tanks have done.  Watch for a pat here.  Adds come out then ( eg keep thunderclap off cooldown till they come out then)  – Pull back to here ect – and I keep forgetting I can’t just stand there and dot them up.

I hate Night Elf Melee. I feel so short next to them.    ( human female) .  I can’t imagine how gnome tanks feel. Ankle biters – getting neck cramps looking up at bosses.

Charging cross the battle field  in BG’s is fun.  “You’ll do as a flag carrier” I got told after  a successful trip.  Won a few WSG’s this weekend for a nice XP boost.  Stunning people as often as my cool downs & rage allowed.  Bit hard for a Rogue to kidney jab me when your dazed and confused ha!

She’s not dressed so fun and sexy now.  Too much Tempered saronite,  but she has been a lot of fun to play – and I will see her to 80.

7 Responses to “Weekend Tankage Aka Denting Face”

1. 1 Narx August 9, 2010 at 1:47 am

Don’t worry, once you hit 80, boob and belly will start to surface again.

Glad to see you are enjoying tanking. It’s a thankless job… but someone’s got to do it.

2. 2 Everblue August 9, 2010 at 7:57 am

The best thing about playing a warrior is there is a real sense of involvement in the attack. When you whack someone you really feel like you are belting them in the face with something heavy.

You don’t get that as a DK (too many of the attacks have a casting animation), a paladin (too many flashing lights) or a bear (too silly).

• 3 Narx August 10, 2010 at 1:09 am

“You don’t get that as a DK (too many of the attacks have a casting animation)”

Which ones?

Most of a DK’s actions are strikes. I agree with you on Pally not feeling like you are doing anything, but on my DK I definitely feel like I am working my threat.

• 4 Everblue August 10, 2010 at 7:53 am

Ummmm – how about Icy Touch for starters🙂

• 5 Narx August 10, 2010 at 11:58 am

Icy touch and Death Coil are your main spells as a tank, and even then you don’t spam those. The majority of your threat should be through Heart Strike and Death Strike. Spamming Icy Touch is just a poor DK’s way of generating threat.

That said, I’m forced to nowadays in order to generate my threat leads.

Bring on Vengeance… and Cataclysm where Icy Touch spam will be a thing of the past.

3. 6 Mia August 9, 2010 at 3:40 pm

– “I am not sure the etiquette of who is supposed to do battle shout /commanding shout when there are 2 warriors though.” –

If I’m tanking or have a gimp healer, I go Commanding shout. If I’m DPSing or the only warrior, I do Battle Shout.

– “I forget vigilance a lot. When I remember I try and wait for at least the 1st pull to see if anyone uber stands out that will need it.” –

I do this a lot too! Especially if I’m running dungeons with a friend. Zoning in and out of a random dungeon takes it off.😦

1. 1 Do Healers Have A Bad Attitude? (via Falling Leaves and Wings) « Just Plain Bossy Trackback on August 9, 2010 at 8:29 pm